• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Medications to gain weight

firesilverlullaby

Bluelighter
I was wondering if anyone knew of any parmaseuticals out their that are intended to increase apetite or slow metabolism?​
Theirs just so many drugs out their to lose weight but not gain weight I know there are some antipyhoticswhich can cause you to gain weight. I also know their is a drug that is a steroid that is specifcally for increasing apetite but i forgot the name and i think it has alot of side effects and requires close monitering by your doc.
Background: Im 5'11 and weigh 130lbs and would like to gain a good 10lbs,​
especially to keep my options open for joining the military which im only 2lbs away from. weed and lyrica help with my apetite but i cant be high all the time. I seem to gain a few lbs in a week but then eventualy i hit aplateu and my metaboism catches up and i lose weight and after a while my stomach just cant handle all the extra food intake and i have rouble digesting food, its just like it stays in my stomach and i wont be hungry for days. Mabybe theirs some kind of cycling i could do like just stop eating heavily when i hit a plateu for a few days. would like to hear some success stories

work out, smoke weed, eat a protein shake, then eat high calorie foods. calories = weight gain. working out = metabolism boost = body needs food.

pretty simple equation

All antipsychotics but a few give you the bad munchies. Weed too.

Remeron, I've heard, makes you eat like a fiend.

Yeh i can vouch for this. I was on avanza (remeron, mirtazapine), reduced my diet, exercised more, and still packed on weight.

I wouldn't turn to meds to gain weight though; just cut out caffeine, smoking and alcohol, eat a heap more (calorie and protein dense) food, and do some resistance training.

If you want to gain weight without fat though then you need to be alittle more careful watching your carb/protein/fat ratios and the types of each you're consuming.

Gaining weight is hard- you need to eat until you puke (sometimes I actually have). Make sure you have a HUGE breakfast. Eating in the moring increases my appitite for the rest of the day. Get some fish oil or Udos as you can drink the stuff and its got loadsa calories (and is pretty damn good for you to boot). Instead of drinking water or soda drink milk or milkshakes. Drink a tall glass of milk before bed. Nuts are also fucking awesome- mainly because they're so addictive, and you never seem to get full.

Make sure you don't have bad days of not eating well. AT LEAST 4 MEALS A DAY. It takes a while for your stomach to handle all the extra food so build up portion sizes slowly and steadily.

Oh and lots of strength exercises and little cardio. I can't gain weight unless I'm lifting.

The answer is..."for some people it's impossible". Of course I'm not serious - but kind of. I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to gain weight for the past year. This is what I've tried:

I stopped working out (at ALL - just basic walking here and there). I eat protein shakes about 5 times a week. I eat a fairly large breakfast, 3 small meals during the day, and a gigantic dinner (lots of carbs and veggies mostly-I don't really eat meat much). THEN I have a fatty/sweet dessert.

I swear I have LOST weight. It's irritating. So, good luck ! Curious to know if anything works. (besides remeron - I don't like that route much)

EDIT: It's odd. It seems like such an easy thing to do. It should be, right? For some people it's just really really hard. Hang in there and just keep eating. ;) haha ( I just ate some cookies for 'snack' )

If you smoke cigs stop, think about stopping weed because over time your appetite becomes dependent on it. When I stop puffing, my appetite comes roaring back after about three days.

If you drink keep it to the weekends and or only have 1 to 3ish a night at the most.

Get a weight gainer and/or protein shake. Start lifting heavy two to three times a week.

Have four meals a day and most of all research. I've gained about 15 to 20 pounds over two years of muscle. Hell I gained 7 like two weeks after I stopped smoking cigarettes (I still fuck up and have one or two when I'm drunk like once a month).

Of course after awhile it becomes much harder to gain weight, I was really underweight and that is probably the reason I gained so quickly. Now its much harder to put on weight but I am doing it. Its nice to have people say "Holy shit, I didn't even recognize you".

The easiest way is to count calories, this can easily be done by logging the kcal count of your favorite most oft-eaten foods. For example, this is a typical day for me:

balance bar + microwave burrito for breakfast with tall glass of skim milk (220 + 260 + 200 = 680 kcal)

bagel with cream cheese and tuna for lunch with more milk (300 + 230 + 200 = 730 kcal)

steak and pasta for dinner with milk again (???kcal usually 700+)

I work out 5-6 days per week and always have at least a 40g / 250kcal protein shake after each workout.

snacks = nuts, microwave pizzas, microwave potpies, I eat like a fat kid sometimes but it's cool. Anyway just those three meals I listed puts me over 2000kcal a day without including any of my normal eating in between. Just drinking 4 tall (16oz or more) glasses of milk per day will get you 800 calories, and there will be like 60+g of protein in there too. It's not that hard.

You need to eat if you want to gain weight. If youre a hard gainer and you think you eat alot I bet you actually dont eat alot. If you want to gain weight eat 6 meals a day.

Here is some good reading shouldnt take you more then half a hour to go through it all and write some notes down

http://stronglifts.com/hardgainers-gain-weight-skinny-guys/

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-gain-weight-for-skinny-guys/

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

Those links are good but one thing is wrong, they say when you can squat 1.5x your bodyweight you won't be skinny anymore... I'm 160lbs @ 5' 9'', consider myself skinny, but rep almost 1.5x my bodyweight for sets of five.

^^^

160 at 5'9 is a pretty good weight... its well within what is considered healthy. I am about at the same place you are and do not consider myself skinny anymore. I would like to maybe throw on 10 more pounds. Not looking to get massive but every time I reach a goal I push it more.

When I used to take trazodone it made me hungry as fuck. Though It will also make you mad sleepy.

i am also a "hardgainer" , and i found the best way to gain weight is to eat at least 5 meals a day, with CLA (very important supplement for gaining lean muscle mass), whey protein at least 3x a day, weight lifting, 3x a week, and try to avoid aerobic exercise. using this simple method i was able to gain 10lbs in 2 months.
for meals stick with high protein, nutrient dense foods, stay away from "white" foods 'sugar, flour ect' ,
stick with whole wheat bread and pasta
eggs, steak, chicken, tuna, salmon, etc,
fruits and veggies.
if you can get whole RAW milk, i highly recommend that too.(to mix whey protein in)
avoid any junk food, its empty calories and WILL NOT help you gain weight.
ohh, and cottage cheese before bed provides your body with casein (slow digesting) protein so your body isnt cannibalizing itself while you sleep.

Last edited:
(post 2)
^^Actually, I've been eating cookies every single day for the past month (on top of regular meals-5small a day) and have lost 4 lbs :| Further, I have significantly reduced exercise ( I don't...except walking here and there). I'm boggled; I'm nearing my lowest weight ever.

i have the same issues. Smoke some pot. Although this doesn't work for me either. I've recently started lifting again and taking HGH purchased from a local healthkick store. I've gained three pounds this week!! amazing.... I'll keep you posted on the results

If you want to gain weight don't take anti-psychotic meds to do that.

raznaruk138 posted some excellent advice.